Landin_Lin
What is the right attitude towards the Bible? I always have some questions in my mind , does a Christian totally agree with whatever the Bible says?What is the right attitude towards the Bible ? For example ,Matthew 5 has a sentence like this 'But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.'. Do you agree with this? What is your opinion about this? It's just contrary to the viewpoint 'We will not attack unless we are attacked; if we are attacked, we will certainly counterattack.' Which opinion do you agree more, why? Another sentence like this 'Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.'. If a stranger or a fraudster begs from you and wants to borrow money from you? Do you agree or refuse? So, how do you treat the Bible? What is the right attitude towards the Bible? to fully accept or to inherit critically? Thank you for reading, I am not sure that if it 's appropriate to discuss Bible issues here, if someone doesn't like the questions I asked, I just express my apologizes. I will be grateful for any corrections to my diary written by you. Thank you! Good luck!

I always have some questions in my mind, does a Christian totally agree with whatever the Bible says?What is the right attitude towards the Bible? 

For example, Matthew 5 has a sentence like this 'But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.'. Do you agree with this? What is your opinion about this? It's just contrary to the viewpoint 'We will not attack unless we are attacked; if we are attacked, we will certainly counterattack.' Which opinion do you agree with more, and why?

Another sentence like this 'Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.'. If a stranger or a fraudster begs from you and wants to borrow money from you? Do you agree or refuse?

So, how do you treat the Bible? What is the right attitude towards the Bible? to fully accept everything or to be critical?

Thank you for reading, I am not sure that if it 's appropriate to discuss Bible issues here, if someone doesn't like the questions I asked, I just express my apologies.

I will be grateful for any corrections to my diary written by you. Thank you! Good luck!

You have some very interesting questions. I think like in other religions, Christians fall into three categories, those who take the Bible literally, those who interpret it into modern life and respect the spirit of what is said, and those who think some parts of the Bible doesn't apply to them. I fall into the second category. You made a reference to Matthew 5, a long and important chapter, 'The Sermon on the Mount'. What you wrote is in this part of the chapter:

38<em> “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ </em>39<em> But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. </em>40<em> And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. </em>41<em> If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. </em>42<em> Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.</em>

To me, this means we should have a humble and generous spirit. Maybe in modern life, if a car is about to hit me, I can step back, or attack the driver. Maybe an alcoholic asks me for money. I have the choice to give or not to give this person money. As a Christian, even if I feel something is unfair, justice is in God's hands, not mine. Again, this is just how I see it.