Andi
Business English Activity: Entrepreneur vs Startup It is very fashionable these days to be an entrepreneur or startup, and the successful people are often interviewed in the media and placed on a pedestal as being intelligent, smart, and visionary. But what is the difference between an entrepreneur and a startup? The main difference is that an entrepreneur has a business idea they want to promote and make a profit from. An entrepreneur is frequently someone who simply sees an opportunity in the market and decides to create a business. We identify entrepreneurs as individuals who have a lot of drive to succeed. Even when they employ staff, they are usually still the hardest worker in the business. A startup can be one person, or a small group of people who have an idea for changing the world or their small part of the world. Typically, startups are founded by people who can see a better way to do something using technology, or they have invented a new technology they want the world to have. Often, they don’t even care about making a profit, though a few of them become overnight billionaires. Activity: 1. Think of a person you consider an entrepreneur. Write a short paragraph about what this person made/sold. (50-100 words) 2. Think of a person you consider a startup. Write a short paragraph about how this person wanted to change the world. (50-100 words) 3. If you create your own business, what would it be? Would you be an entrepreneur or a startup? Describe your objectives with your new business. (100-150 words)