Istiak Ahmed
Tale of a fallen leaf Crowded ground, chatty mob, impatient time and… a fallen leaf… could not raise enough sound, nobody noticed. It wonders what’s in world can make people buzz like this. This makes it sad for its fate; it gets jealous of their joy. So, it sets to overhear. It hears some are tensed about future yet making joke about it, some so soaked in dreams that they can literally see icons in their shadows, some phrase their existence speaking of own greatness against others dullness then reassure to strengthen the ground. Though their smiling faces insist that they are having fun…the fallen leaf seriously doubts. Fun with intention of interest itself is an act of deception. They are fake, joyless and wrongly motivated and they feel solitude amongst all. Here it lies at ‘campus shadow’ being one lonely observer, looking at people own empty hearts and concrete urban dreams. Mother Nature powers the leaf to see through souls for a moment. It observes some fools seriously fooling around, some pathetic dangling dolls of desire driven by greed. Suddenly it doubts human’s purpose of education. Its vision is not personal enlightenment anymore…it has shifted. Now it is simply a process of stuffing souls with intrinsic issues for owing extrinsic resources, which they often call ‘earthly’. It doubts their causes of excellence and reasons for existence. Then thinks, in a world where money can buy almost everything, they are obliged to run after until they become nothing more than a fallen leaf. The fallen leaf lies on that crowded ground ‘satisfied’ with what it contributed.