Yulia
Is it still such a horrible thing? Hello! It’s me again and today I’m going to talk about less personal but quite important problem for me: usage of obscene language. It’s quite interesting how many things have changed since I was a child punished by her parents for using a bad word. I suppose I’d heard it somewhere in the street because my parents didn’t use it in front of me then so I could not learn it from them. The thing is I was pretty clear explained that bad words are for bad people but not for an intelligent person and certainly not for a child. Since then this idea has stuck quite firmly in my head. But years have passed and it turned out quite a number of people uses bad words in their day-to-day life without even slightly been ashamed. For example, it’s pretty rarely to pass a group of teenagers on the street and don’t hear a few bad words in their conversation. Perhaps it’s not a good example because they are just teenagers and don’t quite understand that it’s not the best way to look like an adult. Then what about the conversation of two pretty mature women who were quite enthusiastically juggling the obscene words in front of their children during their quiet walk in the park? I’m not trying to hear that sort of things I’m just walking somewhere or reading in the park and here it is! And it’s literally everywhere: in real-life conversations, in songs, books, movies, etc. Maybe it’s perfectly natural to use the bad words now and it’s just me who still consider usage of it as horrible and disgusting? Maybe it’s time for me to give up being boring and old-fashioned and move on? If someone checks my note, please let me know what do you think about this problem. Is it the same situation in your country?
1

Is it still such a horrible thing?

Hello! It’s me again and today I’m going to talk about a less personal but quite important problem for me: usage of obscene language. It’s quite interesting how many things have changed since I was a child, when I was punished by her my parents for using a bad word.

I suppose I’d heard it somewhere in the street because my parents didn’t use it in front of me then so I could did not learn it from them. The thing is I It was explained to me pretty clearly explained that bad words are for bad people, but not for an intelligent person and certainly not for a child.

Suggestion - It was explained to me pretty clearly that bad words are said by bad people, not by those who are intelligent and certainly not by children.

Since then this idea has stuck quite firmly in my head. But many years have passed and it turns out that nowadays quite a number of people uses bad words in their day-to-day life without being even slightly been ashamed. For example, it’s pretty rarely to pass a group of teenagers on the street and without don’t hearing a few bad words in their conversation. Perhaps it’s not a good example because they are just teenagers and don’t quite understand that it’s not the best way to look like behave as an adult.

Then what about the conversation of two pretty, grown-up mature women who were quite enthusiastically juggling saying the obscene words in front of their children during their quiet walk in the park? I’m not trying to hear that these sort of things; I’m just walking somewhere or reading in the park and there it is! And it’s literally everywhere: in real-life conversations, in songs, books, movies, etc. Maybe it’s perfectly natural to use the bad words now and it’s just me who still considers their usage of it as to be horrible and disgusting? Maybe it’s time for me to give up being boring and old-fashioned and move on? If someone checks my note, please let me know what do you think about this problem. Is it the same situation in your country?

Very interesting piece of writing Yulia.

In English 'bad words' doesn't really mean anything. Maybe it is a little translation from Russian but it sounds better to say 'swearing', 'swear words', 'profanity.' 'Bad words' sounds like what you'd say to a child to try and explain to them why they should not swear i.e. a very simplistic viewpoint that some words are 'good' and some are 'bad.' 

I agree children should be taught not to swear, and adults should not swear in front of children because it is not polite, and there are many formal and professional situations where it is never acceptable to swear... But between adults, swearing doesn't really bother me unless it is excessive and all the time (and there are some people like that). But in informal situations, with your friends it doesn't bother me. In the UK people aren't shocked by swear words any more in informal situations, and a lot of people use them to one extent or another. I certainly don't think that swearing is horrible and disgusting and something that should never happen. It's informal for sure and sometimes they can be vulgar but I don't go along with the idea that swear words are really 'bad' and only used by unintelligent people. At the end of the day they are just words.

But then, I have read in the past that the severity and strength of swear words is much greater in Russian than in English.

1

Is it still such a horrible thing?

Hello! It’s me again and today I’m going to talk about a less personal but quite important problem for me: usage of obscene language. It’s quite interesting how many things have changed since I was a child punished by her parents for using a bad word. I suppose I’d heard it somewhere in the street because my parents didn’t use it in front of me then so I could not learn it from them. The thing is it was clearly explained to me that bad words are for bad people but not for an intelligent person and certainly not for a child. Since then this idea has stuck quite firmly in my head. But years have passed and it turned out quite a number of people use bad words in their day-to-day life without even being slightly been ashamed. For example, it’s pretty rarely to pass a group of teenagers on the street and not hearing a few bad words in their conversation. Perhaps it’s not a good example because they are just teenagers and don’t quite understand that it’s not the best way to look like an adult. Then what about the conversation of two pretty mature women who were quite enthusiastically juggling the obscene words in front of their children during their quiet walk in the park? I’m not trying to hear that sort of thing; I’m just walking somewhere or reading in the park and here it is! And it’s literally everywhere: in real-life conversations, in songs, books, movies, etc. Maybe it’s perfectly natural to use the bad words now and it’s just me who still consider usage of it as horrible and disgusting? Maybe it’s time for me to give up being boring and old-fashioned and move on? If someone checks my note, please let me know what do you think about this problem. Is it the same situation in your country?

In my family, no, you rarely hear anything. Except one of us, but there is a genuine psychiatric problem unfortunately. It seems like western culture has deteriorated. But there are still lots of us who don't talk that way.

I think it's ok to abstain from using a too relaxed language, as it can affect the people you talk with, either because they had problems in their family or past relationships related to verbal abuse, or they just would get a certain impression about you. Some people tend to use swearing as a way to express anger or hatred about the people they talk about, that can make the listeners uncomfortable too.
I myself seldom use obscene language. Sometoimes I would also hear some disgusting words but not that common.