My Awkward Public Transportation Moment Since I’m a student I don’t have to pay when using public transportation during weekdays. (At least that how it’s works here in the Netherlands.) But this rule doesn’t apply during vacation periods. So before the summer vacation period started, I thought it would be a good idea to travel somewhere for free before the next school year starts again. I decided to pay my cousin a visit. This meant that I had to take the bus and the metro (subway). So after I took the bus, I arrived at the metro (subway) station. It didn’t take long before the metro arrived so I entered the back compartment of the metro like I always do. There was one odd thing about the back compartment though. The lights were off while the front compartment had its lights turned on. This should’ve set off some alarm bells to tell me that I might be doing something wrong. However I didn’t care the lights weren’t on because I remembered another time when I got on a metro and the lights in all of the compartments were off. But by the time the metro got to the next stop all the lights were turned on again. Anyway, I sat all the way in the back and from where I was sitting I saw like 4 other people sitting and standing around in the metro. A moment later I looked outside the window to check the monitor to see when we were gonna leave. The monitor said “0 min”, which meant that I should’ve heard a bell to let people know that the doors are closing and that the metro’s departing. Although I heard the faint sound of a bell, we weren’t moving yet. As a result I look in front of me to check whether the other people in the metro were just confused as I am. However that’s when I noticed that all, but one person, left. “Oh no, don’t tell me I’m the only idiot that decided to stay in the back while the front left with all the other people.” I opened the door, I looked to the left and low and behold the front compartment left without me and that other guy. I went back inside and walked up to the other guy to tell him the bad news. We both left the compartment that was left behind and waited for the next metro to arrive (which took 9 min by the way). And even though it was kinda late (not dark yet though) I was just glad I didn’t have to be somewhere on time to tell someone this awkward excuse of a story. I did tell my family about it though and I can definitely laugh about now. I hope you can laugh about it too. Or maybe you can even relate to my story. Leave a comment about it below.
1

My Awkward Public Transportation Moment

Since I’m a student I don’t have to pay when using (you could also say "I don't have to pay to use) public transportation during weekdays. (At least that how it’s works here in the Netherlands.) But this rule doesn’t apply during vacation periods. So before the summer vacation period started, I thought it would be a good idea to travel somewhere for free before the next school year started again. I decided to pay my cousin a visit. This meant that I had to take the bus and the metro (subway). So after I took the bus, I arrived at the metro (subway) station. It didn’t take long before the metro arrived so I entered the back compartment of the metro like I always do. There was one odd thing about the back compartment though. The lights were off while the front compartment had its lights turned on. This should’ve set off some alarm bells to tell me that I might be doing something wrong. However I didn’t care the lights weren’t on because I remembered another time when I got on a metro and the lights in all of the compartments were off. But by the time the metro got to the next stop all the lights were turned on again. Anyway, I sat all the way in the back and from where I was sitting I saw like 4 other people sitting and standing around in the metro. A moment later I looked outside the window to check the monitor to see when we were gonna (Note that this and your other contractions are very informal and wouldn't be used in formal writing. Gonna is especially informal, and might not be used even where others would be. It's pretty common in textspeak and of course in spoken language) leave. The monitor said “0 min”, which meant that I should’ve heard a bell to let people know that the doors are closing and that the metro’s departing. Although I heard the faint sound of a bell, we weren’t moving yet. As a result I looked in front of me to check whether the other people in the metro were just confused as I am was. However, that’s when I noticed that all but one person had left. “Oh no, don’t tell me I’m the only idiot that decided to stay in the back while the front left with all the other people.” I opened the door, I looked to the left and low and behold the front compartment had left without me and that one other guy (you hadn't mentioned the other guy yet). I went back inside and walked up to the other guy to tell him the bad news. We both left the compartment that was left behind and waited for the next metro to arrive (which took 9 min by the way). And even though it was kinda late (not dark yet though) I was just glad I didn’t have to be somewhere on time to tell someone this awkward excuse of a story. I did tell my family about it though and I can definitely laugh about it now. I hope you can laugh about it too. Or maybe you can even relate to my story. Leave a comment about it below.

<em>I haven't used public transportation much, but I expect to soon. Thanks for the headsup! :) Also, your English is very good. </em>