Minjia
Meeting Irena on 20150801 We talked about Vincent van Gogh today. Vocabulary: Psychotic/mental episode: Van Gogh was in a serious psychotic episode. He mutilated his own ear. Dutch vs. Holland vs. Netherlands: The country is called Holland or Netherlands (Don't miss the 's' at the end). The people of Holland are called Dutch. Van Gogh was a Dutch artist. color intensity vs. luminance: Luminance is the amount of light. Intensity is closer to the meaning of saturation. vocabulary vs. vocabularies: Usually "vocabulary" can be used an abstract noun, and no 's' is needed. (Plural is possible, but in the sentence "I want to expand my vocabulary in certain areas", singular is better.) interrelation: The planets have interrelations among each other. interrelate: Science and technology often interrelates with arts. Phrases: Monet and gang (informal): Monet and his fellows. (Can I use "*** and gang" in other places to describe someone and his fellows?) turbulent fluid: Van Gogh's "Starry Night" creates an effect of turbulent fluid. The more you stare at it, the more oddly you feel. Area of expertise: Instead of saying "my expertise", "my area of expertise" sounds better. prominent brushstrokes: (1) brushstrokes, not "brush strokes". (2) prominent means "isolated but all in a group", distinguishable, or visible individually. Time is up: Not "time is off". Our time is up. Pronunciation: asylum: the emphasis is on the second syllable, not the first one. "sy" as in "silence", not as in "scythe". event vs. invent: I know the difference between these two words, but somehow "e" might be heard as "in". (Listen to my own pronunciation, I do have a 'n' sound in e + vent. Ask Irena for correction next time.) usually: I still have the problem of pronouncing this word. Irena was able to point it out and I made the correction. affairs: try to pronounce "air" clearly (a prolonged version than my current pronunciation.) It is interesting to talk about the same or similar topic again.
Oh my! "Monet and the gang" made it into the notes as well. You really are meticulous.