Hanyu
An Interesting Calligraphy I have just seen an interesting calligraphy by a modern Chinese artist Xu Bing. The reason why I think it is interesting is that it is composed of English words which are reordered in a different way. And every word looking like a Chinese character in the calligraphy may not be easily recognized at first sight. In fact, the calligraphy tells us a poetry originally written by an ancient Chinese poet named Wang Wei(701-761). I will post the poetry below with both the English version and the Chinese version. 《鹿寨(lù zhaì)》- 王维(wáng weí) Empty mountain not see human 空山不见人 But hear human language echo 但闻人语响 Returing light enter deep wood 返景入深林 Again shine green moss ON 复照青苔上 Note:"鹿寨"(Lu Zhai) is a private villa owned by 王维(Wang Wei).

An Interesting Calligraphy

I have just seen an interesting calligraphy by a modern Chinese artist named Xu Bing. The reason why I think it is interesting is that because it is composed of English words which are reordered in a different way. And every word looking like a Chinese character in the calligraphy may not be easily recognized at first sight.

In fact, the calligraphy tells us a poetry poem originally written by an ancient Chinese poet named Wang Wei(701-761). I will post the poetry below with both the English version and the Chinese version.

《鹿寨(lù zhaì)》- 王维(wáng weí)
Empty mountain not see human 空山不见人
But hear human language echo 但闻人语响
Returing light enter deep wood 返景入深林
Again shine green moss ON 复照青苔上

Note:"鹿寨"(Lu Zhai) is a private villa owned by 王维(Wang Wei).

An Interesting Calligraphy

I have just seen an interesting calligraphy by a modern Chinese artist, Xu Bing. The reason why I think it is interesting is that because it is composed of English words which are reordered in a different way. And Additionally, every word looking like a Chinese character in the calligraphy may not be initially easily recognized at first sight.

In fact, the calligraphy tells us of a poetry poem originally written by an ancient Chinese poet named Wang Wei(701-761). I will post the poetry poem below with both the English version and the Chinese version.

《鹿寨(lù zhaì)》- 王维(wáng weí)
Empty mountain not see human 空山不见人
But hear human language echo 但闻人语响
Returing light enter deep wood 返景入深林
Again shine green moss ON 复照青苔上

I forgot to mention that it should be read from top to bottom and from left to right.
Interesting piece of art. It took me a while, but I finally recognised the English (I was initially trying to read the poem from top to bottom and right to left, like traditional poetry, but it actually should be read from top to bottom, from left to right).
Very interesting calligraphy!