John
my former supervisor Well, a few years ago, when I first joined the company for which I am currently working, I was assigned to a software project as usual. To be honest , I didn't like the project manager at all, but I had to avoid offending him. He was a senior employee, and had been recruited a few years before. Anyway, I have to say that he was a workholic. You know, he was a man in his early thirties without getting married, so all his life was just working, working, and working. It was very common to see him stay up in office until mid-night. Of course, in his supervisor's point of view, his high diligence was greatly welcome. But the problem was that he was also strict with his subordinates, including me. I mean he often demanded us to stay up with him. As a man with two toddler children, I should spend more time being with my family. In other words, I had to balance family life with work. That's why I dislike him very much. Nevertheless, I had to be friendly to him. If I hadn't been friendly to him, I'd have got into trouble. Plus, because he was a senior employee, there was a lot I could and should learn from him. Due to my friendliness, he was much more patient to me than to the other team members, and less picky about my work.

my former supervisor

Well, a few years ago, when I first joined the company for which I am currently working, I was assigned to a software project as usual. To be honest , I didn't like the project manager at all, but I had to avoid offending him. He was a senior employee, and had been recruited a few years before.
Anyway, I have to say that he was a workaholic. You know, he was a man in his early thirties who was not married/who was unmarried/who had not yet gotten married without getting married, so all his life was just working, working, and working. It was very common to see him stay up in office until mid-night. Of course, in from his supervisor's point of view, his high diligence was greatly welcome.
But the problem was that he was also strict with his subordinates, including me. I mean he often demanded us to stay late up with him. As a man with two toddler children, I should spend more time being with my family. In other words, I had to balance family life with work. That's why I dislike him very much.
Nevertheless, I had to be friendly to him. If I hadn't been friendly to him, I'd have gotten into trouble. Plus, because he was a senior employee, there was a lot I could and should learn from him. Due to my friendliness, he was much more patient to me than to the other team members, and less picky about my work.

写得非常好

my former supervisor

Well, few years ago, when I first joined the company for in which I am currently working, I was assigned to a software project as usual. To be honest , I didn't like the project manager at all, but I had to avoid offending him. He was a senior employee, and had been recruited a few years before.
Anyway, I have to say that he was a workholic. You know, he was an unmarried man in his early thirties without getting married, so all of his life was he just worked, worked, and worked. It was very common to see him stay up in the office until mid-night. Of course, in his supervisor's point of view, his high diligence was greatly welcome.
But the problem was that he was also strict with his subordinatesincluding me. I mean, he often demanded us to stay up with him. As a man with two toddler children, I should have spent more time being with my family. In other words, I had to balance family life with work. That's why I disliked him very much.
Nevertheless, I had to be friendly to him. If I hadn't been friendly to him, I'd have gotten into trouble. Plus, because he was a senior employee, there was a lot I could have and should have learned from him. Due to my friendliness, he was much more patient to with me, than to with the other team members; and less picky about my work.

yes, you are right. Sometimes American spellings are different from British ones.
I just read something that suggests that you "I'd have got into trouble" is correct: http://www.writeathome.com/Grammar_Challenge.aspx?ID=223. Apparently, the form "have gotten" is an Americanism, and the form "have got" is preferred. So never mind my correction for "I'd have got into trouble."