Tristan
The word "ja" When do you use "ja"? I understand that you use it mostly when just writing but is it only in formal writings or? Can someone please explain.
1

''Ja'' is a pronoun and it means ''I''.

The pronouns don't necessarily need to be used in spoken/written Slovak. Every verb has its own conjugated version for every pronoun so therefore we just skip them (the pronouns), unless, as Peachey already mentioned, we want to emphasise or stress that am doing the action.

In Spanish, the rules about using pronouns are similar.

1

Hi Tristan,

As far as I can tell (read: I'm still just managing the language and hopefully other native speakers can clarify better), it comes up in a sentence when you need to specify "me, but not other people" or to emphasise that you are doing the action. I remember once ordering with a large group of friends in a Slovak restaurant and the usual "Dám si..." phrase for ordering was often replaced by "Ja si dám...", ie. "I'll have..."

Patrik is talking about cases/declensions (pády), which I guess you've already run into. I did a podcast on Slovak declensions a while back:

<em>https://slovaksnack.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/episode-18-pady/</em>;

The word &quot;Ja&quot; means &quot;I&quot;.. But you don&#039;t have to use it in every sentense as it is in english.. Sometimes it is enough if you say just some verb with suffix -m or -em after the root of the word ... For example: &quot;čítam knihu&quot; (I&#039;am reading a book / I read a book), you don&#039;t need to say &quot;Ja čítam knihu&quot;. (čítať - to read / čítam - I read / čitaš - you read / etc...). You use the word &quot;Ja&quot; when you need to accentuate that something is actualy about your person. I am the person who reads the book / Ja som tá osoba, ktorá číta knihu. Now you need to say that pronoun.. I hope I helped you somehow
Hi Tristan. "Ja" is pronoun and is usally use in first "pád" (Slovak word and i dont know how to translate :D). You can find more info about "pád" at http://doucovanie.info/web/tahaky/pady-v-anglictine/ The page is in slovak, but there is also english senses as example. I hope this could help you :) If you have any question, dont worry contact me.