Francisco
Teófilo Stevenson Teófilo Stevenson Lawrence was born in Cuba on March 29, 1952, was considered the most feared boxer in Olympic history and was the best amateur fighter of all the times. Was the second athlete in history to win the gold medal in three consecutive times on heavyweight boxing, in 1972 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Munich 1976 and Moscow 1980, a feat only accomplished before by the Hungarian Laszlo Papp and after, years later, matched by fellow Cuban, Félix Savón. Stevenson always was loyal to the Fidel Castro’s regime and thus he rejected a lot of times the possibility to be professional. For this same situation, could not carry out the utopian fight with Muhammad Alí, one of the best boxers in that time, versus the Cuban. On October 1978, Don King offered to the Cuban giant of 1.90 meters, US$5 million to challenge world heavyweight champion Ali, and then Stevenson answered “I prefer the love of eight million Cuban. And I would never change my piece of Cuba not for all the money can give me”. Meanwhile, Ali neither accepted the proposal and said: "I would not have won anything by fighting with an amateur". Stevenson retired in 1988 and worked for the Cuban Boxing Federation. Stevenson died on 11 June 2012 at the age of 60 in Havana, Cuba, the land he always loved. The Cuban boxing lost a great athlete, but he leaves a great legacy that continues providing great sporting success for that country.
1

Teófilo Stevenson

Teófilo Stevenson Lawrence, who was born in Cuba on March 29, 1952, was considered the most feared boxer in Olympic history and (was) the best amateur fighter of all time. (the times.) 

He was the second athlete in history to win the heavyweight boxing gold medal in three successive Summer Olympics, 1972 in Munich, 1976 in Montreal and 1980 in Moscow, (consecutive times on heavyweight boxing, in 1972 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Munich 1976 and Moscow 1980,) a feat only accomplished before by the Hungarian Laszlo Papp and(after,) years later, matched by fellow Cuban, Félix Savón.

Stevenson (always) was always loyal to (the) Fidel Castro’s regime andthus, (he) rejected many opportunities (a lot of times the possibility) to turn (be) professional. Hence, the boxing world was denied the chance of seeing a showdown between (For this same situation, could not carry out the utopian fight with) Muhammad Alí, one of the best boxers of that era, (in that time, versus) against the Cuban.

In (On) October 1978, Don King offered (to) the 1.9 metre Cuban giant (of 1.90 meters,) US$5 million to challenge world heavyweight champion Ali, to which (and then) Stevenson replied (answered) “I prefer the love of eight million Cubans. And I would never change my piece of Cuba not for all that (the) money can give me”. Meanwhile, Ali also refused the proposed match, saying: (neither accepted the proposal and said:) "I would not have won anything by fighting with an amateur".

Stevenson retired in 1988 and worked for the Cuban Boxing Federation. He (Stevenson) died on 11 June 2012 at the age of 60 in Havana, Cuba, the land he always loved.

(The) Cuban boxing lost a great athlete, but he leaves a great legacy that continues to provide  (providing) great sporting success for that country.

Great fighter and well documented. Your English is good. I have suggested a few alternative phrases to make it read more natural in places.