Misa
9/11/2015 I have read some maglev train articles from the internet, and trying to piece them together based on my understanding. The technology used by a bullet train is called maglev. Maglev is short for magnetic levitation. A Bullet train floats over a guideway using a basic principle of magnet to replace the traditional wheel and track trains. A Guideway is a track which has a magnetized coil lining along the track. The opposite poles of magnet attract each other, whereas the like poles repel each other. Hence there is not physical contact between the train and the track and this has effectively eliminated the friction between the train and the track, and the train manages to hover above the track and move faster. The major components of a bullet train are a large electrical power source, a guideway or so-called track, and a large guidance magnet attached to train’s undercarriage. The magnetized coil, which running along the tracks, repels the large magnet underneath the train and allowing the train to levitate between 1 to 10 centimeters. The bullet train does not have a conventional engine which pulling the train along the steel tracks. Another important feature is that the bullet train’s body uses the aerodynamic shape to reduce the air friction and enhance the riding comfort. Japan and German are both developing maglev train technology. In Germany, engineers have developed an electromagnetic suspension (EMS) system, called Transrapid. In this system, the bottom of the train wraps around a steel guideway. Japanese engineers are developing another maglev train system uses an electrodynamic suspension(EDS) system which work based on the repelling forces of magnets. The major difference between Japan and German technology in maglev train is that Japanese train uses supercooled, superconducting electromagnets. This kind of electromagnet can conduct electricity even after the power supply has been shut off. The standard electromagnets, the coil only conducts electricity when a power supply is present. The Germany model has an emergency battery power supply to overcome this problem. By chilling the coils at a frigid temperature, Japanese system manages to save energy, however the major drawback of Japanese’s model is that the system that uses to cool the coils can be expensive. Shanghai maglev trains use Germany technology.