Emiko Matsuyama
My question I am very interested in British philosopher .For example D.Hume and J.S.Mill ,Jermy Bentham etc.I study them though university’s lesson . Hopefully I would like to read only the original textwithout translation . But they are so difficult for me .I guess one of the reoson is long sentences . For example there are a lot of “:” or “;"in “On Liberty” ,and so a sentence don’t end easily .Sometime , when I read them I can’t understand where is the subject in this sentence?Are there any hang ?Are there literature different from today’s books ? If the mother language is English, is it easy interpretation? I am very interested in British philosopher . For example D.Hume and J.S.Mill ,Jermy Bentham etc. I study them though university’s lesson . Hopefully I would like to read only the original textwithout translation . But they are so difficult for me .I guess one of the reoson is long sentences . For example there are a lot of “:” or “;"in “On Liberty” ,and so a sentence don’t end easily .Sometime , when I read them I can’t understand where is the subject in this sentence?Are there any hang ?Are there literature different from today’s books ? If the mother language is English, is it easy interpretation? Please teach me how to read a book which sentence is so long .

My question

I am very interested in British philosophers. For example, D. Hume, J. S. Mill, Jeremy Bentham, etc. I study them in my university classes .
I would like to read their original texts without translation, but they are so difficult for me. I guess one of the reasons is the long sentences.
For example, there are a lot of colons and semi-colons in “On Liberty," so the sentences don’t end clearly. Sometimes when I read them, I can’t understand where the subjects are in the sentences. Are they dropped? Is their literature different from today’s books?
If the original language is English, is it easy to interpret?
Please, teach me how to read a book with such long sentences.