Viktória
Stand-up Comedy in Other Languages I heard a podcast about that homour is one of the last things that we can pick up when we’re learning a language. It was really interesting for me, because I’m able to relate to it. The host of the podcast told us that learners tend not to find the same things funny as native speakers. Perheps because we don’t get the cultural reference points, or because we can’t undersatand it well enough. It’s totally true for me. I like stand-up comedy, and I often watch Hungarian stand-up comedians. But when I watch it in English, it’s really hard for me to pick up the details of the stories and generally enjoy it. It’s difficult to understand all jokes immediately. The host also told us that homour is subjective. It depens on the person. What one person finds funny, another person dosen’t find funny. So, there is no universal form of homour. And then he played some stories. I can understand the main event of the stories, and after I listened to it again and I try to focus on the details. It was funnier than the first time. But I just then understood it when I read the transcript of it. After that it was totally enjoyable for me. What do you think about this subject? Can you enjoy the homour in other languages?