Claude Bouchard
粵語乜野係“死雞撐飯蓋” sei2 gai1 caang3 faan6 goi3 Basically, it means to not accept one's own guilt, one's own mistake. But what does it have to do with rice and a dead chicken... 好似同“無法認錯”一樣。。。但係我仲係唔明,點解同飯和死雞有關係。。。?
1

粵語乜野係“死雞撐飯蓋”

sei2 gai1 caang3 faan6 goi3

Basically, it means to not accept one's own guilt, one's own mistake. But what does it have to do with rice and a dead chicken...

好似同“無法認錯”一樣。。。但係我仲係唔明,點解同飯和死雞有關係。。。?

“死雞撐飯蓋”
”飯蓋“ here refers to the cover of a rice cooker.
When cooking chicken with a rice cooker, people find that chicken's legs are at full extension,making the cover open.It seems that the chiken try to save itself.
So “死雞撐飯蓋” is often used to satirize people who do not admit their own mistakes.

这是一句歇后语:死鸡撑饭盖----死顶。歇后语是群众在生活实践中所创造的一种特殊语言形式,所以其生活气息浓厚。广府人喜欢用饭锅之类的东西浸白切鸡,鸡刚放进锅里还没煮熟是,它的脚关节还是柔软的,可以弯曲着塞进锅里,锅盖没有撑起。当煮熟时,鸡脚会变硬撑直,如果鸡比较大还有可能把锅盖撑开撑住,也就像撑住锅盖一样。于是人民把这种现象用来形象地描写那些明知有错还死顶,不愿认错改正的人。这里有相似性,有约定俗成,有生活常识。

粵語乜野係“死雞撐飯蓋”

sei2 gai1 caang3 faan6 goi3

好似同“無法認錯”一樣。。。但係我仲係唔明,點解同飯和死雞有關係。。。?

Here is the reason from 粵講粵有癮...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwLQO_QN2GQ&index=154&list=PLzv6FfCamaR0NVsJR29DrkOjr5-BxZtaI

Basically, when a whole chicken is cooked, (Cantonese love steamed chicken) its legs will be extended and so if the rice pot is too small, its lid would be lifted out.

It is a good program... But unfortunately, all in Cantonese and so learning from it may be a bit more difficult...

It's not about rice, 饭盖 means the lunch box's cover (or you can call it 饭盒盖). 死鸡撑饭盖 literally means a dead chicken push up the lunch box's cover, the chicken has been cooked, it's dead, it suppose can not move, but its foot still push up the cover like it still alive. So this phase can be used to indicate someone know that is his fault but still keep denying it or make excuses to cover it.
It's a interesting saying! By the way, you can shorten this expression and just say '死撐' in daily conversation. For example, you can say '佢仲係度死撐', meaning 'he is still defending for himself' in situation that even though he knows he is wrong, but just too ashamed to admit it.