Karine
Networking skills - part two At the financial consultant x I worked with people from the most diverse fields over the last three years. I worked with managers, analysts, engineers, mathematicians, accountants and professors. It was there that I had contact with the ‘outside world’ and that my curiosity to other countries was triggered. With my boss’ advices and colleagues’ tips, I was able to travel to Scotland, London and Paris and develop strong relationships with people from all over the world. The experience gained in this travel was especially enriched because it was the confirmation of what I want for my future. When I come back to Brazil, I was feeling more mature and compromised with my own goals. I decided to leave x aiming at new challenges and, as a circle, I was able to indicate two friends of university to my old position. After attending for a short period of time as a trainee at x, I decided that it was a moment to focus on my studies and volunteering work. Since then I broaden my networking skills with people who are committed with political and human claims while I improve my linguistic abilities. Daily, I studied English and Mandarin and on Saturdays I look after children refugees while their mothers have Portuguese classes at Adus Institute. Both experiences built during those years were strong and lasting. Although I am not more in an everyday contact with them, the connection created was strong and full of willingness of both parts. Regular contacts with them and the several invites that I still received from them for happy-hours and diners just assure relations that I have created for life. At the same time, the more recent relations building up in both my volunteering work at Adus and at the mastering of Portuguese classes for foreigners, have allowing me to develop new networking skills that, as the same way, seem to be long lasting.