Emese 艾米
Please help!! In your opinion how can surveillance increase public safety??
I live in a small town in the UK and there are lots of cameras which the police use to monitor the town centre. This is lazy police work. The public (me) feel safe when they see cops walking around the streets - if there is a crime I will shout and scream and a cop will soon appear. With cameras.... the cops are miles (kilometres) away and can't hear you scream for help.....and the criminal has disappeared by the time the cops arrive.
I agree with everything Bob wrote. Just want to point out an irony: many US cops refuse to wear body cam, and many cops arrest people filming them on duty. Those cops believe their action in public as a public servant should be secret.
Hello Emese, I believe that surveillance can increase public safety because if people are aware they are being watched they are less likely to try and commit a crime. If they are not aware or they do commit a crime it is more likely that they will be identified, caught and punished for their crime. The fact that surveillance is in place also makes many people have a greater sense of security. On the other hand some people think that it is a breach of their human rights to be 'spied on' all the time. My attitude is that if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear. Hope this helps Bob