Minjia
Camino de Santiago -- Irena -- 09/04/2015 We talked about Camino de Santiago (the St. James' path) . Corrections: Don't throw people off: Not "Don't threw people off". conscious vs. cautious: I become more conscious of my own words. I made a mistake by saying "I become more cautious of my own words". Cathedral vs. Church: You don't say "a Cathedral church" because Cathedral is a type of church. bare feet: not "bare foot". Phrases: Through the north of Spain: Much better than my "along the north of Spain" (my version might not even be correct). Raise in fame: Camino de Santiage has been raising in fame. Vocabulary: serenity: She tried to seek serenity by taking the 800km pilgrimage path. penance vs. sacrifice vs. suffering: Speaking too many of these words gives a heavy feeling. walk stick: not "walk cane" since canes are used by old men. Pronunciation: Santiago: not pronounced as "San Diego". "tia" as "tya" in "Satya". pilgrimage: This word has four syllables, which makes it difficult to pronounce, and I tend to miss the "ma" sound and pronounce it as "pilgrage". Galicia: "ga" as in "galic", not as in "gap". Portugal: "Por" as in "pork", "tu" as in "tube". backpack: I tried to apply the new way to pronounce words that have two consecutive consonants. Think it as two words but the second word starts with "kp" so it becomes "bac" + "kpack". (instead of thinking 'k' as the last sound of 'back'.) This way, I don't drop the 'k' sound. Don Quixote: This is by far the most challenging sound. It has two ways to pronounce it. The one I feel that is easier to remember is "quick saudi". The author of the book is Cervantes. The loyal server is called Sancho Panza. Don Quixote bravely charged toward windmills. phoenix: it sounds like "phinix", there is no "o" sound. Facts: In order to get the completion certificate, one needs to take a walk for at least 100km to get to the Cathedral. One gets a pilgrimage password to collect stamps along the path. Barcelona is a place worth going. Munich: Oktoberfest. Moscow. Rome. Stein on Writing. The Presence Process by Michael Brown. Eckhart Tolle and his famous book "the Power of Now".
Thank you for your corrections, Irena!
To specify better: to peregrinate (verb) = to travel (on foot) from place to place; peregrination (noun)= a long journey (on foot).
There is nothing wrong with "along the north of Spain"! These are all good option: "through the north of Spain", "across the north of Spain", "along the north of Spain". Again, it is only about the subtle differences in meaning. Another small correction: walkING stick/cane. My mind went blank for a minute, but I finally managed to remember the actual term for those used when trekking or hiking: walking POLE. :-) .... And the last thing to add for now, another good word to add to the vocabulary: "peregrination" meaning "to travel on foot". ;-)