John
Some questions relating to Math • Do you like mathematics? Yes, I do because as a software Engineer I need to use it at work. When using it to get a solution to a problem in my project, I get a sense of accomplishment. Do you think you are very good at mathematics? Not very good actually. If I was brilliant at it, I would engage another job, such as actuary, which is better-paid than my current one. • Do you think mathematics is easy? No, I don't. Most mathematical formulas are elegant, but at the same time they can be rather hard to understand. Plus, it's often challenging to get a mathematical model to solve your problems occurring in your workplace. • When did you start learning mathematics? I began to learn it when I was in the first grade in primary school, at 7 years old. Before that, I had been able to count. • For how long did you study mathematics? I studied it for about 12 years, six years in primary school, and another six years in high school. • Do you think mathematics is useful (or important)? Kind of. I think it is not as important as some experts think. Some people of the old generation can have a good life without learning it at all. But of course, if you were a scientist, it would be very important for you. • Do you think it might be useful for everybody in day-to-day life? No, I don't. Apart from calculate price when buying something in a street market, some people may never use it anywhere in their daily life. • Did you use an electronic calculator in school? No, I didn't because I was not allowed to use one during my school years. It was commonly said students' mental arithmetic ability would improved if they avoid using calculators.