Citlalli
The lack of art in our school system. (essay) Through all my school years, art or artistic expression were never important. You were good at school if you had good grades in math or sciences. All of that is important, of course, and I must say I was pretty good, even the best of my class. But, I always wondered why we never had art classes, why my friends who had an incredibly insane talent to draw were never as recognized as I was. I remember we had art in highschool (here, highschool lasts only 3 years) We learned how to draw, paint, and play instruments (very briefly because "there was not enough time") but it was SO much fun. I was not good at all... I did some terrible, awful, cringe-worthy paintings my mother decided to hang on the living room when I gave them to her on mother's day (ok, she's my mom, obviously she loved it and almost cried of joy... but seriously, I was terrible) I tried to play guitar - my fingers bled a lot, and no matter how hard I tried, I was terrible on this, too. We were only able to practice when the school needed some musical act for an event, but, if the math teacher needed extra hours to get with the program, the school will sacrifice the art classes. Apparently it was so much important than develop our artistic skills. As I mentioned before, I was the best of my class, and my classmates often would say things like "how can you be so intelligent?" and "you don't have to worry about exams, you are intelligent and we are not" and I'd get mad and a little sad to hear that. Since we are children, we are taught that we have to be good with numbers and stuff to be successful in life; to go to college, get a job, and have a good life. That's true, but... is not the same for everyone. A classroom is full with kids that are so different from each other. Every mind is a world. Why would you teach them stuff that only a few of them will be good at? How can a future Leonardo Da Vinci or Miguel Angel find their passion if they never grab a paintbrush? When I failed at painting or play guitar, I was never, ever told I was dumb. I was just not good at it. But kids who are not good at maths sometimes grow up thinking they are stupid, and good-for-nothing people who will never get a decent job if they don't study hard enough. Whoever makes school programs should think about how their life would be without the music on the radio, or the art that help us to see beauty of things surrounding us. We, the scientific minds, would go crazy.