mathilda
hair colours Isn't it funny how hair colours are an attribute often stereotyped in a lot of different countries? Great britain being a "ginger" seems often to be a reason for children to made fun of and also in Germany, you're looked at strange for being a redhead. "Rote Haare, Sommersprossen sind des Teufels Bundgenossen." is a German saying, roughly translated to "red hair and freckles are in league with the devil". generally there are a lot of stereotypes about people with red hair, some of them being mean and sexist and some are...well, different, like "In der Regel haben Wikinger rote Bärte" , which makes fun of the two of the meanings for "die Regel", meaning the "red week" of women and "in general", so it can be read as "in general vikings have red beards" and "during the menstruation period vikings have red beards"...but of course this is not fun at all, since Germans don't have humour, as I was told. being a natural redhead, can mean you get more attention, even if you don't want it, because there are not so many redheads in Germany. Just around three percent of the people have red hair. The second most uncommon hair colour in Germany is blackhair with around seven percent, depending on the statistics. It is kind of weird, that there seem to be much more men with black hair than women. there are not many stereotypes about black hair itself, but a lot of foreigners and the so-called "Gastarbeiter"-immigrants from the seventies mainly from Italy and Turkey have or had (some may be grey or white by now) very dark hair, so maybe, depending of the skintone, some people may encounter stereotypes and racism. :( The so-called "keltische Typ", the celtic type, sometimes also called "Schneewittchen-Type", snow white type, is a person with very pale skin and eyes and black hair. It is considered as especially beautiful. Next more common hair colour is blond with around 20 percent of the people living in Germany. Which has, while being called "beautiful", often has a negative connotation. Not so much men, but blond women are very sexualised, are said to be very naive, not so faithful and of course...stupid. there are tons of jokes about the stupidity of blond women. So much that the word "blond" also often is used as substitute for "dumb". "Ich bin zu blond dafür!", "I'm too blond for that!", means basically that the person thinks they're too stupid to do or understand something. Personally, i think all this stereotyping is really dumb. In the end it's just hair!
Really like this entry. And yes, stereotyping is really dumb. In Poland some people would say that you shouldn't trust a "ginger". So stupid.