Melody
Meaning of "It is not gonna work" Here is the story: One evening sereval days ago I was waiting for the subway to go home. Because I had been overworked for many days and my daughter was catching a fever that day I wanted to return as fast as possible, I squeezed in the train which seemed to have no space for even one person just at the moment the door was closing. Then I heard a voice from behind:"Oh, no, it is not gonna work." It was a foregner, who is about 50 years old. I felt kinda embarrassed, but kinda touched as well. I thought the meaning is "no need to hurry, you are not going to work. It is home instead." It was my first time to feel the caring from a stranger in such a rush hour in such a traffic-congested Beijing. Most time all people are just bowing their heads watching the cell phones. Nobody cares for others. Then I posted a post in my wechat. But my friends doubted that I made a mistake. The meaning should be "Oh, no, you cannot get on the train." I appreciate if somebody can confirm this for me. Thanks in advance!
Hi Sabrina, Thank you so much! You are the nicest stranger I met:) Thank you!
Hola yo no hablo ingles pero si te interesa aprender castellano
Hi Melody, From the context that you described, I think the man was referring to the door (it's...) that looked like it wouldn't be able to shut (...not gonna work). In other words, he was saying, "The door isn't going to function properly...it's not going to close." This type of "going to" is commonly reduced to "gonna" ... but always followed by a verb. If he was referring to going home, he might have said, "At least we aren't going to work." This type of "going to" is only reduced to "goin' tuh' " ...but we never drop the T in "to" because we are talking about place....to work, to school, to the store, etc. You might hear something like: t'work, t'school, t'the store when native speakers speak. But we will always say the T sound here. On a personal note: sorry you feel uncared for in Beijing. I hope to run into some nice strangers soon!