June
Should We Learn Grammar (Part One) There have been constantly debates on whether language learners should learn grammar. The questions is actually rather complicated, as a result, there is no one-size-to-all answer to convince all of the puzzled learners. As a learner of English myself, my experience has told me that knowing grammar will be essential and vital at some stages of every one's journey to English proficiency. I'll discuss 'why', 'when' and 'how' in the following paragraphs. Before going to answer why learning grammar is beneficial, let's see what grammar is. In plain language, grammar is a set of rules which account for the constructions of a language. Since adult learners acquire the new language with translation from their mother tongue, they have to be able to identify the different constructions between the old and the new. Without awareness of this, even though their vocabulary is good enough to read in the new language, their spoken and written languages are hardly to sound natural.

Thanks to Paramveer 阿鹏 

There have been constant debates on whether language learners should learn grammar. The questions is actually rather complicated, and as a result, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to convince all of the puzzled learners. ... 

... Since adult learners acquire the new language with translations from their mother tongue, they have to be able to identify the different constructions between the old and the new language. Without awareness of this, .. their spoken and written languages hardly sound natural.

Should We Learn Grammar (Part One)

There have been constantly debates on whether language learners should learn grammar. The questions is actually rather complicated, and as a result, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to convince all of the puzzled learners. As a learner of English myself, my experience has told me that knowing grammar will be essential and vital at some stages of everyone's journey to English proficiency. I'll discuss 'why', 'when' and 'how' in the following paragraphs.

Before going to answer why learning grammar is beneficial, let's see what grammar is. In plain language, grammar is a set of rules which account for the constructions of a language. Since adult learners acquire the new language with translations from their mother tongue, they have to be able to identify the different constructions between the old and the new langauge. Without awareness of this, even though their vocabulary is good enough to read in the new language, their spoken and written languages are hardly to sound natural.