Sucking at What You Do I'm an English teacher, and I suck at teaching. My English is not that good and my classes are boring and ineffective. I can see it in my students' eyes. Then you ask me: how did you get into teaching English? Well, I'm glad you asked that. I never thought about teaching English. Then, one day, my English teacher asked me if I had ever thought about being a teacher. I said: never, but now I do think about it. Then I was invited to work at the language school I had been studying English. It's been 13 months since I began teaching. At first, I was kind of good. I was funny and joyful. But, as time went by I started to get tired. My English wasn't getting any better, neither were my teaching skill. Now, every time I enter the classroom, I feel like I'm not good enough, that what I'm teaching is nothing new to my students. It seems my students have already noticed that I'm a...fraud. They can see I'm not a prolific English speaker not even a well-trained teacher. I really want to help my students, but I don't know how. Good intentions are not enough, it seems. I have only two months left before Summer vacation. I don't know if I'm going back to teaching though. I wish I could be better, but maybe I'll need to focus on my English first. I'm really unhappy with myself. Actually I feel miserable. Sucking at what you do really...sucks. Anyway, I'm just venting here. Thanks for your attention. And please, do not hesitate in correcting this entry. That won't make me feel any worse. Sincerely, Vitor
Hi Cerb, this impostor thing really resonates with me. Maybe I should go through some therapy. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
Hey, look up "Impostor Syndrome": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome It sounds like what you have. If you ever want to talk about this, shoot me a message. I'm from Brazil as well! Your English is very good, the only correction I could see was "My English wasn't getting any better, neither were my teaching skills." (missing an "s" at the end).