Jeff
Bilingual I don't know if one day I would say: "Hey joffrey, that's it! You don't need to learn English anymore,you have attained the pinnacle of your learning!" Speaking my mother tongue (French) is natural for me, I don't have to think about the words, they come naturally because since I was a kid, I always repeated words, phrases etc... and my mind has got used to hear and say them over and over. Now, with English, I know that some words are anchored in my mind and I don't have to think about the translation and it comes naturally. I think that when you learn a language it's like when you try to know different conbinaisons and to create a sentence you have to link the phrases together. The more you use common words for you brain, the more it's easy to speak. Yesterday, I was speaking with a friend who is bilingual since her birth. Her father is Chinese and her mother French. She said that the fact her father always spoken Chinese to her at home and her mother only French has resulted her bilingualism. When she reached 3 years old, and had to go to school, she mixed both of the languages. She started a sentence is French and finished it in Chinese. She told me that because she was inconscient of her ability to understand two languages, she didn't noticed that she had to switch between languages with her parents. It was natural for her, she knew that her parents had different ton of talking but in her mind didn't feel that she was constantly alternating between them. I saw a video on the internet about siblings who are trilingual (French,Spanish & English) and it's absolutly incredible to see the possibilities of the human brain.
1

Bilingual

I don't know if one day I'll be able to say: "Hey Joffrey, that's it! You don't need to learn English anymore, you have reached the pinnacle of your learning!"
Speaking my mother tongue (French) is natural for/to me, I don't have to think about the words, they have come naturally since I was a kid, I always repeated words, phrases etc... and my mind has got used to hearing and saying them over and over.
Now, with English, I know that some words are anchored in my mind and I don't have to think about their translations, they just come naturally. I think that when you learn a language it's like when you try to understand different combinations and to create a sentence you have to link the phrases together. The more you use certain words, the easier it is to speak.
Yesterday, I was speaking with a friend who has been bilingual since her birth. Her father is Chinese and her mother French. She said that the fact her father always spoke Chinese to her at home and her mother only French has resulted in her bilingualism.
When she reached 3 years old, and had to go to school, she mixed both of the languages. She started a sentence in French and finished it in Chinese.
She told me that because she was unaware of her ability to understand two languages, she didn't notice that she had to switch between languages with her parents. It was natural for her, she knew that her parents had different ways of talking but in her mind didn't feel that she was constantly alternating between them.
I saw a video on the internet about siblings who are trilingual (French, Spanish & English) and it's absolutely incredible to see the possibilities of the human brain.