Shinji
I Was Locked Out of My Home! I had a little trouble entering my home yesterday. I live in Italy and my wife had been going back to Japan for two weeks because her grandmother passed away. She came back to Rome yesterday and she texted to me, "I'm so tired." I replied to her not to lock the front door because the front door can't be opened from outside if it is locked from inside, and I suspected that she would fall asleep. However, she didn't reply to me even though I texted to her quickly. As I expected, I couldn't open the door. I called her, rang the bell, and knocked the door for a few minutes. Finally, she got up and opened the door. At any rate, I was just glad she didn't collapse.

I Was Locked Out of My Home!

I had a little trouble entering my home yesterday. I live in Italy and my wife had gone back to Japan for two weeks because her grandmother passed away. She came back to Rome yesterday and she texted to me, "I'm so tired." I replied to her not to lock the front door because the front door can't be opened from outside if it is locked from inside, and I suspected that she would fall asleep. However, she didn't reply to me even though I texted to her quickly. As I expected, I couldn't open the door. I called her, rang the bell, and knocked the door for a few minutes. Finally, she got up and opened the door. At any rate, I was just glad she didn't collapse.

<em>[Excellent.  You could also say "my wife had been away in Japan..."]</em>

It's hard to explain. There are two ways to lock the front door. There is a keyhole and it is possible to lock the door from both outside and inside by a key. In another way, it is locked from only inside without a key, just turning a handle. We generally lock the door using the latter way when we are at home because it's easier. Make sense?
oh! good that both of you are ok , but you have to make an extra key . this had happen for you and your wife is in home but Imagine if the hole family is out and the keys are inside !