Ada Chiang
A Question Difficult to Answer - Please correct As a professor at Fulbright Program who teaches American History in China, and as a fourth generation Chinese-American, people always ask me, where can I feel the influence of Chinese culture and American culture respectively? It is a question difficult to answer. It is difficult that one needs to summarize his experience, that one does not know when he acts in Chinese ways or American ways, especially that one needs to reflect upon many questions which people seldom do. In short, I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. My father is a policeman. Both of my grandfather and great-grandfather were farmers. My parents, who put great emphasis on education, sent me to the best middle school in Hawaii, probably one of the best in America, with high tuition fees. Then I continued on to University of Pennsylvania, and then University of Hawaii, where I earned my master degree. I received my Ph.D. from University of Washington and another master degree from Yale Law School.