prettyautumn
My Birthday! Today is my birthday according to the Chinese Lunar calendar. I didn’t even know it until my doting Mom reminded me in the morning while telling me she would cook a delicious meal for me. In Chinese culture, a person’s lunar birthday is far more important and always asked by fortune tellers, despite mostly not being celebrated, because the date varies in the calendar year from year. Last night, before getting into bed, I checked this month’s receipts and delightedly found out I won a small lottery which could afford three of my Italian or French private lessons – a good and auspicious sign that bodes well for my upcoming year.
2

My Birthday!

Today is my birthday according to the Chinese Lunar calendar. I didn’t even know it, until my doting Mom reminded me [in the]/this morning, while telling me that she would cook a delicious meal for me. In Chinese culture, a person’s lunar birthday is far more important, and always asked for by fortune tellers, despite generally/mostly not being celebrated, because the date varies (in the calendar) from year from to year.

Last night, before getting into bed, I checked this month’s receipts, and was delightedly found to find out that I had won a small amount on the lottery, which could/would pay for afford three of my Italian or French private lessons – a good and auspicious sign, that bodes well for my the upcoming year.

My Birthday!

Today is my birthday according to the Chinese Lunar calendar.

I didn’t even know it until my doting Mom reminded me in the morning while telling me she would cook a delicious meal for me.

In Chinese culture, a person’s lunar birthday is far more important and always asked by fortune tellers, despite mostly not being celebrated, because the date varies in the calendar year from year.

Last night, before getting into bed, I checked this month’s receipts and delightedly found out I won that I had won a small lottery which could afford pay for three of my Italian or French private lessons – a good and auspicious sign that bodes well for my upcoming year.

******************************************************************

The past perfect tense "had won" is often used in conjunction with the simple past tense "checked".

The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

For example:

- I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Kauai.
- I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.
- Tony knew Istanbul so well because he had visited the city several times.
- Had Susan ever studied Thai before she moved to Thailand?
- She only understood the movie because she had read the book.
- Kristine had never been to an opera before last night.
- We were not able to get a hotel room because we had not booked in advance.

Here's a good explanation of the past perfect + simple past tenses:

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html

*********************************************************************

Happy Birthday :p Another celebration in your life Your wishes become true Have a nice day:)