Kseniya
The dacha I have been studying English since my early childhood, and during all that time I've been using the expression " a country house" referring to a place, where Russian people spend summer. However, my English teacher ( a native speaker) told me that it was rather strange to call our small and sometimes unsightly buildings that way. What she meant was that a country house itself is a place where royal British people used to spend their summer. Moreover, she made a point that we could find the word DACHA in the Oxford dictionary. By the way, we can:) Still, at that time, it was kind of a shock for me, because Russian people are always taught by Russian teachers to use something as a country house or even better "my village", when we speak about our summer houses. Well, due to the fact that the word dacha is in the dictionary and understanding clearly enough that there is a huge difference between our summer houses and Downton abbey, for instance, I started using the word DACHA freely and without any doubt. Nonetheless, I am still curious as to whether English people are aware of this word and its meaning.
Thank you, Doug! Glad to know it, because I start teaching my own students to use " DACHA"
Yes, I agree with your teacher. I think most reasonably educated people know what a dacha is, and it conveys much better what you're referring to than the expression 'country house', which sounds very grand!