Sexism I have been a member of Italki for a year and half a now, and when I used to message English speakers I got the same kinds of answers. If you message a woman their answers are always: "I'm married", "I don't talk with men because men are perverted", "I'm not looking for a boyfriend". If you message guys their answers are: "I'm not into guys", "Are you a fag? ", "I only help Latinas". I have not messaged any English speakers for about nine months, and I have received messages from Mormons who are looking for people to convert and time-wasters. People who feel like learning Spanish one day and spam their Skype accounts and never get online. Last week, I ended up adding four of those people whom I had to delete afterwards. I would like to mention that I have never had these kinds of issues with speakers of other languages apart from English. All in all, when it comes to English I'm very skeptical with language exchanges. My advice is to enroll in a traditional English course or book a lessson either with a teacher or a tutor. I mean by this entry to point out how people say that discrimination is bad, but when it comes to sexism they are completely okay with that and apply this kind of discrimination.
1

Sexism

I have been a member of Italki for a year and half a now, and when I used to message English speakers, I got the same kinds of answers. If you message a woman, their answers are always: "I'm married", "I don't talk with men because men are perverted", or "I'm not looking for a boyfriend". If you message guys their answers are: "I'm not into guys", "Are you a fag? ", "I only help Latinas". I have not messaged any English speakers for about nine months, and I have received messages from Mormons who are looking for people to convert and time-wasters. People who feel like learning Spanish one day and spam their Skype accounts and never get online. Last week, I ended up adding four of those people whom I had to delete afterwards. I would like to mention that I have never had these kinds of issues with speakers of other languages apart from English. All in all, when it comes to English I'm very skeptical with language exchanges. My advice is to enroll in a traditional English course or book a lessson either with a teacher or a tutor. I mean by this entry to point out how people say that discrimination is bad, but when it comes to sexism, they are completely okay with that and apply this kind of discrimination.

<em>I am very sorry about your exchanges with English speakers. I would like to inform you a little about our culture, especially the culture of American english speakers. What sometimes tends to happen is that Americans stereotype people from other countries. Or sometimes, since this is a site where you meet complete strangers, people get skeptical of who their talking to. Though this does happen, it's extremely unfortunate that there are people out there ruining learning languages for foreigners. However, not all native english speakers are this way! Being an American, I am very well aware that there are a good amount of people in my country who are plain our rude and disrespectful. 
Please
do not be discouraged in learning english due to rude english speakers.
There are still people out there who deeply want to do language with exchanges and are not rude. If you would like, I can help you with your speaking skills! I find it very unfortunate that you aren't finding people who are helping you in the ways you need. Hope I was able to help you out a bit.
Best of luck! </em>

Sexism

I have been a member of Italki for a year and half a now, and when I used to message English speakers, I got the same kind<font style="background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">s</font> of answers. If you message a woman, her answer is always "I'm married" or "I don't talk with men, because men are perverted" or "I'm not looking for a boyfriend". If you message guys, their answers are usually "I'm not into guys"or "Are you a fag? "or "I only help Latinas". I have not messaged any English speakers for about nine months, and I have received messages from Mormons who are looking for people to convert and time-wasters. There are also people who feel like learning Spanish one day but fake /spam their Skype accounts and never get online . Last week, I ended up adding four of these ( type of) people, whom I had to delete later on /afterwards. I would like to mention that I have never had these kinds of issues with speakers of other languages apart from English. All in all, when it comes to English, I'm very skeptical with the language exchanges here. My advice is to enroll in a traditional English course or book a lesson, either with a teacher or a tutor. What I mean by this entry is that <strike>to point out</strike> how people can say (that )discrimination is bad, but when it comes to sexism, they are completely okay with it and practice it themselves.
Hi Camilo. Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. BUT, I am writing this to say that your English is FANTASTIC. Well done for all your hard work. Kind regards, Leigh.
I used this website only one month and added some native english speakers on Skype or we chat, in fact some of them added me on them own, but we didn't talk much...on the opposite, I talked with some other english learner from other countries a lot.
I am very sorry to hear about that Camilo ... I would be happy to volunteer to help you with your entries, even though I am not learning Spanish ... it is on my list - I have learnt Italian before, and am currently studying French. Serious offer - happy to help ! BTW - I had determined that if I were to learn Spanish, the Columbian patois is the best - Correct? Len Australia