Оля
SYNONYMY IN ENGLISH The work is devoted to the study and research as the important aspects of lexicology of English as synonyms, which is one of the central questions of linguistics. The choice of the theme due to the fact that the study and analysis of synonymy in English quite valid and represent the scientific and practical interest. The nature of synonymy, synonymous relationship between words has long attracted and attracts the attention of linguists who developing problems semasiology as the solution to the problems of synonymy, is closely associated with antonyms and polysemy and its study is important not only for semasiology, but also for lexicography, literature, methods of teaching language. In a study conducted in the work, it was found that the synonymy began to study after completing semasiology into a science in the late 19th century, because until synonymous considered only as a means of expression of the language. For more in-depth study of lexical synonymy contributed to the spread of the concept of language Ferdinand de Saussure (Swiss linguist who laid the foundations of structural linguistics and semiology) and the development of structural linguistics in the 20th century. A great contribution to research on the analysis of semantic and functional relationships and words and their synonyms in modern English language made our compatriot V.G Vilyuman (Soviet scientist - a recognized expert in the field of English synonyms).