Chiara
Writing I’ve decided to spend some time, every day, writing in English. Why that? Mostly, because I have very few occations to improve my writing skills. Since I have finished high school, the only chance I have to keep my English fresh is to watch movies and tv series, which is definetely good for listening, learning idiomatic expressions and becoming aware of the differences in pronunciations. I read English books as well, last month I started reading the last book of the Harry Potter saga, so it was a bit easier since I already knew the plot. I found it funny and very useful, even if at first it’s been hard: there were many words I had never heard before, expecially the ones regarding magic ad spells, but since I studied Latin, it progressively became easier. So, I read in English and I listen to it by watching movies. Sometimes, I can also speak it: a couple of weeks ago I was in Hungary and I met a lovely American couple during a cruise on the Danube. They were extremely friendly, we started to talk in English and I found myself quite good at it. Unfortunately, when it comes to writing, I always make a lot of mistakes: the spelling is the hardest part for me. I never write e-mails in English or anything like that, so when I found out that Italki gives me the opportunity of sharing my notes, I was really happy and relieved: finally I have the chance to strengthen my writing weaknesses!
Dec 1, 2015 1:53 PM

Writing

I’ve decided to spend some time, every day, writing in English. Why that? Mostly, because I have very few occasions to improve my writing skills.

Since I have finished high school, the only chance I have to keep my English fresh is to watch movies and tv series, which is definetely good for listening, learning idiomatic expressions and becoming aware of the differences in pronunciations.

I read English books as well, last month I started reading the last book of the Harry Potter saga, so it was a bit easier since I already knew the plot. I found it funny and very useful, even if at first it was hard: there were many words I had never heard before, especially the ones regarding magic and spells, but since I have studied Latin, it progressively became easier.

So, I read in English and I listen to it by watching movies. Sometimes, I can also speak it: a couple of weeks ago I was in Hungary and I met a lovely American couple during a cruise on the Danube. They were extremely friendly, we started to talk in English and I found myself quite good at it.

Unfortunately, when it comes to writing, I always make a lot of mistakes: the spelling is the hardest part for me. I never write e-mails in English or anything like that, so when I found out that Italki gives me the opportunity to share my notes, I was really happy and relieved: finally I have the chance to strengthen my writing weaknesses!

Hello Chiara,

I agree that this is a good place to practise writing, you can also speak English here as well. Either as a language exchange - your Italian for their English - or you can take lessons with a teacher.

Just one small tip, as people don't get paid to correct your writing I would suggest a maximum of 2 - 3 smallish paragraphs at a time to ensure that people do look at it.

Hope this helps

Bob

Chiara, You are amazing! You are doing so much better than you know. You should be very proud of your English writing! Marie

Writing

I’ve decided to spend some time, every day, writing in English. Why that? Mostly, because I have very few occations  occasions to improve my writing skills.

Since I have finished high school, the only chance I have to keep my English fresh is to watch movies and tv series, which is are definetely definitely good for listening, learning idiomatic expressions and becoming aware of the differences in pronunciations.

I read English books as well, last month I started reading the last book of the Harry Potter saga, so it was a bit easier since I already knew the plot. I found it funny and very useful, even if at first it’s been hard: there were many words I had never heard before, expecially especially the ones regarding magic ad and spells, but since I studied Latin, it progressively became easier.

Unfortunately, when it comes to writing, I always make a lot of mistakes: the spelling is the hardest part for me. I never write e-mails in English or anything like that, so when I found out that Italki gives me the opportunity of sharing my notes, I was really happy and relieved: finally I have the chance to strengthen my writing weaknesses!