Xu Lingyan
Film Diary Three Idiots (2009, India, Rajkumar Hirani) Though Three Idiots is generally a romantic comedy with typical Bollywood song and dance, it still touches some serious topics, of which the rigid education system is a major one. The comedic approach enhances the gravity of some tragic events. One example is the Joy Lobo’s suicide scene. Right before this shocking scene are some typical Bollywood song and dance scenes that display how students handle the unpleasant college life in a funny way and how Rancho tries to fix the flying machine which is an important prop for the suicide scene. The rap and rhythmic drum beats and the delightful chorus of the background music Aal Izz Well (All Is Well) set a cheerful tone for these scenes. At the same time, the fast motion used in the lecture room scene, several close-ups of exaggerated facial expressions and the slightly rotated camera to accompany the rhythm of the song all add to the rapture of these scenes. At the end of these song and dance scenes, Rancho successfully fixes the flying machine and students all gather in front of the dormitory of Joy Lobo, wanting to surprise him. At that point, since the background music goes on, the audience, along with the group of students in the film is still immersed in the “all is well” illusion. Shortly afterwards, the camera tilts up to track the flying machine which is near Joy’s window. Then, the next shot reveals that Joy hangs himself in the dormitory. More importantly, this image is presented on the black-and-white screen of the flying machine and the background music stops with it, which is a huge contrast to the previous scene. The next silent scene shows Rancho and his friends rush into Joy’s room in slow motion to extend the duration of the anxious and shocking feelings. Only the sound of opening the door and their panting are heard in next shot. Then, the camera gives a close-up to Joy’s feet and immediately changes the focus to the writing on the wall-I QUIT. Finally, this shot dissolves out, accompanied with sad background music.