Please, explain me what is the difference between "will" and "Going to"

I watched this video, and I confused about the "will" and "going to"
http://www.youtube.com/user/EnglishLessons4U#p/u/39/SmSKJ-t8lJ8

Please, tell me the difference.
Thank you, beforehand

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Will is used in many different ways.
    a) To say what you expect to happen in the future (often with I think because it's your personal opinion). ' I think, Chelsea will win the match on Saturday.'
    b) To say what is planned or arranged for a future occasion. 'The service will start at 9am.'
    d) To say you are certain something is true.' Most of you will know about the problems we have been having.'
    e) To say that you are willing to do or intend doing something. 'Who will help me?' If you won't talk to him, I will! (usually at the moment you decide to do it).
    f)To make a polite invitation or offer. 'Will you have a cup of tea?'
    g)To say something is possible. '$100 dollars will buy enough food for a family for a week.'
    h)To order something to be done or someone to do something. 'Will you go, now!'
    i)To say what always happens in certain situations. 'Natural rubber will stretch easily when pulled.'
    j)To say that someone has a habit that you find annoying. 'If you will keep interrupting me, how can I finish my work!'
    k) To make a promise. 'I will always love you.'
    l) In the first conditional to say that under certain circumstances, someething is likely to happen. 'If you marry me, I'll love you for ever.'
    'Going to' is used.
    a) To predict a future event based on evidence, prior knowledge or absolute certainty. 'The sky is black. It's going to rain.'
    b) To talk about actions you have already decided to do or have the intention of doing. ' I'm going to study Engineering next year.' (when the action is planned for the immediate future you can also use present continuous.) I'm going to visit/ I'm visiting my grandmother tomorrow.'
    Just read some comments to the actual video on youtube. They actually explain it pretty accurately.

"Is that a joke? Every decent grammar book says we use ''will'' for future decissions taken on the spot, for example: I'm already late - I think I will take a taxi. We use ''be going to'' when talking about future which is already planned in advance, for example: The plane to NY leaves very early - at 6am tomorrow. That's why I am going to call a taxi for 4.30 am."

will:
    a) expresses a decision made at the moment of speaking - ex. give me your case. I'll carry it for you
    b) to express an offer - ex. we'll eat a cake

going to:
    a) express a future decision made before the moment of speaking - ex. I'm going to study hard
    b) when you can feel now something is certain to happen - ex. look out! that box is going to fall

With some regret, I think she spent too much time on the extra parts (he/she, is/are/am) instead of focussing on when to use 'will' or 'going to'.

Definitely forget about the "strength" of either option. That's misleading. In a number of cases you could use either, but this is how I see it:

Will is a basic future action. You would use this when it's a "sure prediction".
    "Going to" is active - if you are going to do something, you are already in the process of heading towards that action... even if it is just a decision in your head.

Any other thoughts?

The difference is really subtle.
    Like
    I'll do it.
    I'm gonna do it.
    I'll do it - is like now.
    I'm gonna do it is like I plan to do it. I have already decided.
    Something like this.