Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

In Japan, is hakujin and kokujin, used often when referring to white people and black people?

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Yes.

And not often. They're always used as translation of English "white people" and "black people".
    In fact, to make a distinction of black and white is rather a western thing. Race can be very obscure and the only time we have to make that distinction is when we learn history. Foreigners are just foreigners in Japanese minds.

I also happened to know that, in US census, they ask you what category of race you fall into. If I remember correctly, they have black, white, Hispanic, Asian, and others. I don't think a lot of Japanese people have that kind of mind frame. It might seem the idea that "Obama is black because Americans said so" is a little bit far-fetched but it has that element. It also brings up the question of "he's partially white. So why is he black anyway?" I won't delve much further into this but you know...