How to say "He walks like a bear" in Tagalog?

Additional Details:

Well, thank u all for those answers ^^.
So, let's sum up! ;-)

I take it as granted that, as Romulus said, "Para siyang oso kung maglakad" literally means: "He looks like a bear when he walks."

Then perhap's i can just say:
Para siyang oso" to mean "He looks like a bear"? **(1)

And maybe:
Para akong oso "I look like a bear"?? **(2)

Now, the other set of examples...

First part:

> Either u use the regular verb-subject order, or the "inverted order" (in which case u need to add "ay")
> Either u use lumalakad or naglalakad for the present tense of "lakad".

That makes 2x2 logical possibilities:

Siya ay (Siya'y) lumalakad/naglalakad
Lumalakad/naglalakad siya

I guess it is so independently of the added element, coz in each case, you can add "na parang uso" ("like a bear"). Is it right? **(3)

Second part:

Here also there seem to be 2x2 possibilities (at least, but it s enough! ^^):

na parang isang oso
na parang oso
kagaya ng isang oso
kagaya ng oso

I ll assume that "na para" and "kayaga" are equivalent and mean "like" (and both need an additional "ng").
Now, what does "isang" mean? What is the difference between "... isang oso" and "... oso"?? **(4)

It s highly possible that some of my assumptions are wrong, but if not, I still have additional questions (with ** and a number).
Mind for some more help? ;-)

For learning: Filipino (Tagalog)

Answers

Para siyang oso kung maglakad.

It can be said in any manner.

- Lumalakad siya na parang uso.
    - Siya ay lumalakad na parang uso or Siya'y lumalakad na parang uso.

I use lumalakad as it is in present form...

It could also be said as
    - Lumalakad siya kagaya ng oso.
    -Siya or Siya'y lumalakad na kagaya ng uso.

"siya ay naglalakad kagaya** ng isang oso."

"kagaya" (like - preposition) has a lot of tagalog equivalent term such as;

'katulad'
    'kaparis'
    'kapara' ang

the present form of 'walk' (lakad) can be of two way: "naglalakad" or "lumalakad" which can be used interchangeably.

:)

you can take out word isang there it could be optional. Isang from the root word isa which means one. Siya'y naglakad na parang oso- He/She walked like one bear. "tumulog siya kagaya ng oso"

"he sleeps like a bear"? the present tense of tulog is not tumulog rather natutulog so it should be - natutulog siya na kagaya ng uso or Siya ay natutulog na kagaya ng oso.

I think your doing good you just need to familiarize the present past and future of tagalog words... l

I think your doing good you just need to familiarize the present past and future of tagalog words...

first, let's consider the verb "look".

Then perhap's i can just say:

And maybe:

here, "look/s" is defined how he/you behave - like a bear! but when you are to pertain "likeness" (especially the facial expression, shape, contour, etc) of the bear, you would say: "MUKHA s'yang/akong oso" much more of 'PARA s'yang/akong oso.'

tagalog sentence inversion always exist (to highlight something, of course).

"SIYA ay naglalakad na parang oso." S-V-O (this highlights the main subject = SIYA)
    "parang OSO sya kung maglakad." O-S-V (this highlight the object = OSO)

BTW, it's actually OSO, not USO.

:)

In normal everyday conversation you'd probably hear most of the following:

"He looks like a bear." - Mukha siyang oso.
    "I look like a bear." - Mukha akong oso.

"kagaya ng" and "na/parang" can be used interchangeably.

"isang" can also mean:
    "isang taon" - 1 year
    "nagpunta sa isang lugar" - went to a place (isang - a)

It will be easier to know the base forms of the verbs:

base past present future
    lakad naglakad naglalakad maglalakad
    tulog natulog natutulog matutulog

Its just there are those common phrases that don't normally follow the usual rules. It will be easier to hear the actual conversation or talk to someone who speaks tagalog.

When someone asks me about how to learn Tagalog, I would really not dwell on the grammar part, because most of the time, if you will use the language for normal everyday conversation, you wouldn't really speak with perfect grammar and follow every single rule, because it doesn't sound "so normal". I prefer to teach them the colloquial version. Of course, grammar rules are important as well because it serves as your basis for forming your sentence in a way that every native speaker will understand.

Like with most languages, think in (whatever language it is). It gets easier when you have someone to talk to.

If you really wanna practice your Tagalog. I'm usually available on weekends. We can talk or discuss stuff over skype.