Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Korean Dialects?

Often when I'm watching Korean shows and the talk falls on dialects, it's usually about the Seoul and Busan dialects.
As a dialect speaker myself, I would like to know how many and what differences there are on the Korean dialects, etc.
If someone here speaks a dialect, or know how to, maybe you could give me some examples? Also, how do people react when you use dialect, and so on.

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I'm a Busan(Gyung-sang province) dialect speaker.
    I can't say I know exactly how many dialects are in Korean.
    I would like to say the diarects can be roughly divided into 5 dialects.
    Gyung-sang, Jeon-ra, Gang-won, Chung-cheong, and Jeju province.

Gyung-sang dialect, I use, has tough and faster accent. So, when two person from Gyung-sang province talk to each other, people, who don't get used to hear their dialects, normally think the two person is arguing each other.

On the other hand, when I hear Jeon-ra dialect spoken by a angry person, I doubt he/she is really angry. Because Jeon-ra dialect sounds slow and relaxed to me.

To be honest, when I hear other dialects, I feel it's fun and funny. Most of Korean do, either.
    And if a foreigner speak a dialect well, oh, he/she will be invited to a TV show^^

If you hear all kinds of the dialects, you can realize the differences between them.

Explaining in English writing is kind of hard work to me^^