Are there any rules which syllables should be written as accented?

Are there any rules in Spanish which syllables should be written as accented?

I know that "còmo" and "como" are different words (the accent matters). The snag is it's quite difficult to remember it just visually. I need the logic of it.

The answer can be also a link to the explanation (English, I can't read Spanish yet).

For learning: Spanish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hello.
    Yes, there are rules to put accents in syllabes in spanish, but sorry, they are a bit complicated.
    Generally, when the stress is in the last syllabe you write an accent if it ends with a vowel, an 'n' or an 's'. If the stress is in the previous to last syllabe, you write an accent if the word ends with any other letter than vowel, 'n' or 's'. And if the stress is in any previous syllabe, you write an accent always. With those rules, you have covered almost all the cases.
    But there are special cases and exceptions. In your example ('como' and 'cómo'), and in other similar cases, you put the accent in the interrogatice or exclamative word: 'como' means 'I eat', but 'cómo' means 'how', so it's an interrogative word, and carries an accent.
    For words with just one syllabe, usually you don't write any accent, but sometimes there are two or more meanings for the same word, so you need to distinguish them. Then you put the accent in the personal pronoum (like in 'mí' and 'mi': with accent it means 'me', without it, it means 'my').
    Also, there are rules to write accents when there are two or three vowels together, but they are a bit complicated to write them here, maybe you wolud want to search them specifically.

Это правило очень простое. В словах, кончающихся на согласную, кроме –s, -n, ударение падает на последний слог:
    Lector - [lek ʹtor]
    В противном случае ударение падает на предпоследний слог:
    Entro - [ʹentro] , comes - [ʹkomes]
    В случае отклонений от правил над словом ставится графическое ударение:
    Póster - [ʹposter

More resolved questions for learning Spanish