Adverb Clauses. Which one sentence is correct?

I live in the city where are many old buildings built in times of USSR.
I live in the city where there are many old buildings built in times of USSR.
(I know that I can simplify this sentence by saying "I live in the city with many old buildings built in times of USSR." but I jsut want to know if it's right).
To me, first sentence is grammatically incorrect.
Or give your own variant which you think is more correct and less awkward.

Answers

The correct in my thought ..

I'm scratching my head. I think we miss the point when we debate endlessly whether one or another sentence is "correct" grammatically. Think of it in the following way. You would not say or write a sentence like "are many old buildings built in times of USSR". You would use the words "there are many old buildings built in times of USSR". Our goal is to communicate effectively. Without the "there", the words sound strange.

There are many old buildings built during the USSR era in the city where I live.