How to understand the position of modify??like ONLY

Eg:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed ONLY by heart disease and cancer

and

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, ONLY surpassed by heart disease and cancer

what's the difference?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    ONLY

This is a word that is a pitfall to the most of us whether learned or unlearned. Probably it is the most indiscriminately used word in the language. From the different positions it is made to occupy in a sentence it can relatively change the meaning. For instance in the sentence—"I only struck him that time," the meaning to be inferred is, that the only thing I did to him was to strike him, not kick or otherwise abuse him. But if the only is shifted, so as to make the sentence read-"I struck him only that time" the meaning conveyed is, that only on that occasion and at no other time did I strike him. If another shift is made to-"I struck only him that time," the meaning is again altered so that it signifies he was the only person I struck.

In speaking we can by emphasis impress our meaning on our hearers, but in writing we have nothing to depend upon but the position of the word in the sentence. The best rule in regard to only is to place it immediately before the word or phrase it modifies or limits.
    In those sentences I don't see any difference in meaning.

But there is a difference in these sentences:
    a) Only my wife and I sleep in our bed.
    b) My wife and I only sleep in our bed.

a) = our bed is exclusively for my wife and I, no one else uses it.
    b) = my wife and I use our bed exclusively for sleeping, nothing else happens there.