The Language Bars in Profiles

Hello! I know this isn't much of a question, but I really want to know what to put in the Language bars. I mean, the one in your profile where you pick whether you're an English native speaker, or just advanced at it. I don't like confusing people so I'd like to know the standard here in italki. What does each mean (Elementary, so on...)? What I am presently studying? Or what I have already learned? For example, I'm studying Elementary German right now. What should I put? Beginner or Elementary?

Danke!

Answers

Hi Jash!

I never knew the A1, A2, B1 etc system until I arrived here in Europe. The wikipedia entry gives a fairly clear explanation of each "level":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

Of course, if you grew up speaking the language and use it at an advanced level, then of course use "native".

I understand the "Speaks" part as implying you could give some assistance or advice on the language, even if you're at an intermediate level. That's just how I read it. :)
    On italki, language proficiency is categorized into different levels based on the CEFR system.

What I found on wikipedia:

A1 or beginner:
    Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases.
    Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details.
    Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

A2 or Elementary:

Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
    Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
    Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages