Kommer att vs Ska

In what situations should one be used instead of the other?
I was taught to say "Jag kommer at förklara." but doesn't it mean the same thing as "Jag ska förklara."? What decides whether to use "Kommer att" or "Ska"?

For learning: Swedish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    They rougly mean the same thing. I guess a little bit like the English ”will” and ”going to”.
    We do also have a third way to express future: present tense.
    Ska expresses intentions to do something.
    - Vad ska du äta till middag? What are you going to have for dinner?
    - Jag ska äta fisk. I'm going to eat fish.
    Kommer att is more a way to predict what is going to happen (objectively)
    - Det kommer att snöa hela nästa vecka. It will/is going to snow all next week.
    - Jag kommer att missa mötet. I will miss the meeting.
    - Mötet kommer att bli flyttat till nästa vecka. The meeting will be moved to next week
    The present tense is more used in a near future, with a time adverbial
    - Jag ringer honom ikväll. I'll call him tonight.
    - Vad gör du ikväll? What are you doing tonight.

Good question! I don't think it matters that much. I'd say it's okay to use both, but it depends more on the situation.

It's actually a bit like in English, so let me show some examples.

"Jag kommer att förklara" is a bit like "I'm going to explain", whereas "jag ska förklara" is more like "I will explain" (only a slight difference).

The difference is that "ska" is a bit stronger than "kommer att". It's kind of a bit more determined way of saying the same thing, therefore it's probably better to use "kommer att" most of the time.

Perhaps you could say that "kommer att" is a little more predictive, rather than determined. For example; "det kommer att regna imorgon" (it's going to rain tomorrow) is more correct, because you can't be sure whether or not it's actually going to.

On the other hand, "jag ska åka utomlands" (I'm going abroad) is showing a strong intention of doing something. If you used "kommer att åka utomlands" instead, it would be more like a notion that might or might not happen (maybe you don't have control over it, like a business trip). There is also a third way of expressing this, and that's "jag tänker åka utomlands", which basically means that you are planning to go abroad (in contrary to "ska", which means you already settled).

I know I'm not the best tutor, but I hope this helped you. Feel free to ask me anytime if you have more questions :)

"Ska" is sometimes spelled "skall" and is related to "shall". I'm afraid they are not always the same, but they are in some cases.

Ska vi gå hem? = Shall we go home?
    Kommer vi (att) gå hem? = Will we go home?

Jag ska gå hem. I'm going to go home.
    Jag kommer gå hem. I will go home.

More open questions for learning Swedish