Is there any difference between grocery store and supermarket?

OOPT 

I have heard the word "grocery store" from TV series, movies and news many times. It rarely use in Thailand. In fact, I never heard Thai people say this word. We usually say "supermarket" when we refer to a place likes Safeway, Aldi or SuperValu.

I want to know, what is the difference between them? Which one sound more common or use more often in your country?

Answers

Although in common usage the words are used as though they are the same, the distinction between them is size. Grocery store is a general term. While a supermarket is a grocery store, a grocery store is not always a supermarket. A supermarket is very large and usually has a variety of departments that wouldn't be found in a smaller grocery store; pharmacy, post office, fast food, walk-in clinic, etc.

I hope that helps. :)

Jack

Grocery stores are big or little. Supermarkets are grocery stores.

Supermarkets are only large.

A grocery store is usually smaller than a supermarket [ In Australia]