Books a philosophy/English major should read

Hello! When summer comes to an end I'll become a college student. Math was the major I chose and I suppose I might be interested in double-majoring or maybe I'll only be picking up a minor on liberal arts such as Philosophy, English or even another language for instance German, Hebrew etc. All that depends on how much money I would be possessing then and how much endurance and time I would have left. It'd be very kind of you to advise me a list of books I should read in preparation to be a Philosophy or an English major. Thanks a lot!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Start with the basics; Plato, Socrates, Machiavelli, Descartes, Voltaire, Locke, Thomas Jefferson, Durant, every student of philosophy studies them. Being Chinese you would do well to study your own philosophers, too. People laughed at me for studying such a worthless subject because it won't get you a job but as one of my favorite philosophers said, "Money doesn't talk, it swears." ~ Bob Dylan. Good luck with your ambitious plan, my advice is don't take too many classes at one time because the workload will do you in.

I suggest that you get the actual reading list of books that you will study. That way you will be well prepared. Every university is different.