What is the best way to learn Kanji?

For me, the most difficult aspect of learning Japanese has always been Kanji. Can anyone share their methods with me?

For learning: Japanese

Answers

OOPT

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    What I did was force myself into using it so my brain can accept that it is the only means of communication I know, but I never recommend this.

Mainly Kanji look like what they represent and if you can read the smaller Kanji that make the larger ones, you can figure its meaning and sound.

One thing I know for learning pronunciation is to memorize the Romaji lyrics of a Japanese song then read the Kanji version to the song.

I know a website that you can look for that does a really good job at describing the Kanji: jisho.org

Hope this helps.

An interesting method is of course "Remembering the Kanji" by Heisig. Most Kanji are built out of other Kanji, so he shows you a way how to connect them by creating stories containing the meaning of the smaller Kanjis that will lead to the meaning of the bigger Kanji. Quite impressive, but only useful if you want to learn all the Joyo-Kanji (~2000), because they are not arraged by frequent use. The other thing is, that the reading of the kanji is put into a second book, so that it's quite frustrating until you complete both books. Probably the best way to really master "all" Kanji, but only if you really want to do it! ;)

Japanese has thousands of Kanji. It's not easy for me as a native speaker.

I'd recommend one way.

First of all, please type hiragana on your computer, and check Kanji list. Now, we use computers, and reading skill is more important than writing.

Then, if you want to be able to write Kanji by yourself, please divide Kanji-character to left-side and right-side, or upside and bottom. Each has its meaning. Kanji characters has their origin from shapes. For example, やすむ=休む(rest, have a break). This left-side shows 人= a person. On the other hand, the right-side shows 木=tree. Thus, 休 points out a person under a tree... This equals to having a break.
    1. Divide a kanji into a radical and "the rest". Each part has some meaning(s) in most cases. Sometimes "the rest" only shows the reading, though.
    2. When learning kanji, don't learn them one by one separately. Learn them in context and in combination with other kanji.

1. Some of kanjis are pretty look like the object which they are symbolized.
    For example 口 (kuchi = mouth) or 中 (naka = inside). They are the easiest kanjis and very easy to memorized!
    2. Some of kanjis have characters which is refer to something.
    For example this character -> 氵is refers to water. Like 海 (sea), 泳ぐ( to swim), 酒 (sake) and so on.
    Or the upper part of this kanji -> 花 is refers to plants. Such as 花 (flower), 茶 (tea) and so on.

Keep practicing on writing and reading every day is the key to success. This is what the japanese people do too!