Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Use of an article

In English, we say "I stayed at the hotel" Έμεινα στο ξενοδοχείο.

This doesn't appear proper in Greek since I believe in Greek you would say:

Έμεινα σε ξενοδοχείο.

Is the reason you don't use the article is because you're not saying a specific hotel since you're saying hotel in general.

If you said I stayed at the Hilton Hotel, would I then use an article.

Έμεινα στο Χίλτον ξενοδοχείο.

For learning: Greek

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Έμεινα στο ξενοδοχείο ==> I stayed at the hotel (at a specific one, as you said)
    Έμεινα σε ξενοδοχείο ==> I stayed at a hotel (generally, without referring to a specific hotel)

So in Greek both sentences are used, having exactly the same difference as between 'the hotel' and 'a hotel' in English.

Your last sentence is also correct. I would prefer: Έμεινα στο ξενοδοχείο Χίλτον (=I stayed at the Hilton hotel)

hope it helped :)