"Amar é passar a vida inteira dedicando-se à pessoa amada."

I can't get clear the grammatical points of this sentence "Amar é passar a vida inteira dedicando-se à pessoa amada."

1. Why use "amar" here, "amar" is a verb, why not use "amor"?
2. "amar é passar a vida", why the origin verb "passar" is put directly after the predicate "é"? Is "ser + fazer" or "estar + fazer" a common usage?
3. "a vida inteira dedicando-se", "fazendo" behind a noun functions the same way with English, such as "a boy riding a bike", "fazendo" is an attribute here?

For learning: Portuguese

Answers

"Amar" because they're trying to define a word, so they use the dicionary form
    "é" because of the same thing above xD
    the third I didn't understand '-'

Hi 小聪聪-Francisco,
    1) In this case I think you can use Amor too, but the autor seems try define the verb "Amar"
    2)
    First question: The same above
    Second question:
    You have to analise the context.
    "Ser+Fazer" the verb "Ser" is used to define characteristics of something. Examples: I'm tall, I'm smart.
    The verb "Fazer" is used to define what are you doing/making. Examples: I'm doing my homework, I make a joke.
    The verb "Estar" is used when you trying to define the situation of something. Examples: I'm Hungry, My pc is broken
    3) I didn't understand what you mean.

I hope you understand, I'm learning English.
    Enjoy your studies.

First, I will do a rough translation for you;

“To love is to spend your whole life dedicating yourself to the loved one.”

Amor is a noun, it's the feeling of affection for someone/something; while amar means “to love”, it's a verb, the act of loving someone/something.

Yes, ser + fazer is a common occurrence, you might want to take a look at Portuguese non-finite verbs, in this case impersonal non-finite (Infinitivo Impessoal). Yes, it is a difficult topic to get a good grasp of, even linguists have a hard time with them. That's not a reason to give up, of course. :)

Estar fazendo is the same thing, it's a non-finite verb called gerundive.