Quali sono le differenze tra... Non voleva / non ha voluto, etc. ?

C'è qualcuno che mi possa spiegare completamente e definitivamente le differenze nei usi e dei significati tra:

Non voleva =
Non ha voluto=

Non doveva =
Non ha dovuto =

Non poteva =
Non ha potuto =

E se potessi spiegarmele in inglese, mi farebbe MOLTO piacere!

Grazie mille in anticipo!

Additional Details:

Grazie a tutti quelli che mi hanno già fatto delle risposte! Scusate, per favore, il mio incapacità di spiegarmi molto chiaramente in italiano. Capisco, generalmente, l'uso del passato prossimo v. imperfetto. Ma nella mia esperienza ho trovato che tradurre questi usi nel negativo è difficile e le sottile differenze sono importanti.

Il mio dubbio qui è molto precisamente sulle sottile differenze di significato specificamente tra queste diciture (?). ..............

................. In English: I remember being told that one usage means......... "He did not want to (and, ultimately, didn't)" and the other means, .............."He didn't want to (and didn't do it)".................. These are the subtle differences that I want to, finally, be able to distinguish. Thanks so much!

Additional Details:

I really want, specifically, to understand these EXACT, NEGATIVE, PAST TENSE(s) uses of VOLERE, DOVERE, and POTERE .

Voglio davvero, in particolare e precisamente, capire questi ESATTI, NEGATIVI, PASSATI usi di VOLERE, DOVERE e POTERE.

Additional Details:

Oh, no! I messed up.... One form means he didn't want to (and had to) whereas the other means he refused to (and did not), etc...

For learning: Italian
Base language: Italian

Answers

The are many differencies between what we call "imperfetto" and "passato prossimo", above all in our everyday speaking, so I suggest that you stick with the basic rules and understand their general meaning before moving to further usages of these tenses.

Generally, "mangiava" refers to something usual in the past.

Mia nonna mangiava pasta ogni giorno a pranzo quando era viva.
    My granmother used to have pasta at every lunch when she was alive.

"Ha mangiato", instead, is related to a specific action in the past.

Mia nonna ha mangiato la pasta ieri a pranzo.
    My granmother had pasta yesterday at lunch.

Hi,

I'll try to explain the differences. It quite difficult, you have the same problem that Italian people have when study differences between past simple and present perfect.

The impertetto can be used:

1) to indicate actions happened in the past that were often REPEATED. Examples:

quando ero bambino disegnavo spesso => when I was a child I often drew
    quando ero bambino guardavo la tv tutti i giorni => when I was a child I looked to TV every day

2) to DESCRIBE some situations happened in the past:

mentre i bambini dormivano nessuno faceva chiasso => While the children slept nobody made a noise

In this case please note that the action "studied" and the action "made a noise" happened in the same time, and both ran for a while. This is important to understand the differences with passato prossimo.

3) action happened in the past which took a while, without any expression of frequency:

Ieri era molto freddo => Yesterday was very cold

Take a care that the imperfetto indicates the action as seen during his execution.

The passato prossimo is used to describe actions happened in the past and definitely FINISHED.
    Let's use the same sentences used above:

1) quando ero bambino ho disegnato una mela: this means that ONE TIME I drew an apple, NOT every day nor often, just one time.

2) mentre i bambini dormivano il papà è rientrato a casa dal lavoro: again, WHILE the children
    slept their father got back home, not every day and the action "è rientrato" has immediately finished.

3) ieri è stato molto freddo per tutta la mattina: here the concept is similar to the above n° 3 phrase, but you are indicating HOW LONG the cold took.

To clarify, the sentence "i bambini dormivano a lungo " is different from "i bambini hanno dormito a lungo" because in the first case you are describing a situation (case n°2) , and in the second you are describing the action as definitely FINISHED .

I know it is difficult, I don't know if I've been clear enough. In any case please ask for any doubt
    you can have (an sorry for the mistakes I made in English)