How to use "jo" and "jamen"

I continue to see "jo" and "jamen" used in ways I don't quite understand. Could someone please explain how to use these properly? Possibly with examples? :)

For learning: Danish

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I cannot really find a good explanation in English, as I think there isn't a corresponding word. The word "jo" is used to give a statement extra strength, like "det var jo det jeg sagde!", which means "that's what I told you!", with extra emphasis on 'told'.

'Jamen' is a "filler" word used mostly in spoken Danish. Frequently, when a person is asked a question, he or she - in order to win time to think - starts his/her answer with 'jamen'. 'Jamen' - directly translated - consists of two words put together: 'ja' (yes) and 'men' (but). However, it doesn't actually mean anything.

In written Danish, 'jamen' can be used in its actual meaning ("yes, but"): e.g.: "Jamen det var jo det jeg sagde!", meaning "(yes) but that's what I told you!" (wiht emphasis on 'told')

Han har JO ingen penge! :-o = BUT he hasn't got any money! :-o
    Du skal JO putte mælk i først, det har jeg JO sagt! >:-( = BUT you have to put milk in first, I've already TOLD you that! >:-(
    Jamen, hvorfor skal det i først? = But, why does it have to go in first?
    Det har jeg jo sagt! = I've said that already!/I've already said that/I've told you that already/I've already told you that!
    Det har du da aldrig sagt no get om! :-( = You've never said anything about that!/No, you've never said anything about that! :-(

More open questions for learning Danish