Romanian Contractions

Does anyone know of a helpful, easy-to-understand resource that explains/defines the Romanian contractions and the original words of which they are contracting? I see them all the time and haven't been able to find out what they mean or how they're pronounced. Thank you in advance!

Examples: C-e, m-am, nu-i

P.S. Considering that I'm just beginning to learn Romanian, I realize that I just might not be advanced enough yet with my studies to understand the contractions.

For learning: Romanian

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    ah, so you want to learn romanian. That's nice, our language is beautiful. But the grammar is not that easy.
    About contractions: the sign - shows that you should pronounce in the same sylabus both words. So if you have ,,ce-ai'' you will pronounce ceai, and not ce ai, like 2 sylabus.
    It is harder with the pronounciation, coz I have no ideea how could I translate this things in order to be understandable for you. It's good that you want to learn romanian, but it will be easier when you will arrive there to understand it. Good voyage to you

If I understand you correctly, this is similar to "don't","wouldn't","you'd" etc. For example "m-am" means "I made something with myself" "m" implies the self and "am" is the auxiliary from Perfect Composed tense of Indicative.
    For example "M-am dus in parc." Means "I went to the park". Here the subject which is the self is "M-"
    "Nu-i" means "it isn't" or "Nu este"
    A common difficulty is with the construction: "ia" vs "i-a"
    "ia" means "take" (2nd person vocative) while "i-a" is in the Perfect Composed and means He/she did smth to/for him/her.
    Example: "ia cartea aceea de pe raft" (take that book from the shelf)
    "Paul i-a cumparat o carte" (Paul bought him/her a book)

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

More open questions for learning Romanian