Can Entender/Comprender be used to communicate empathy?

In English, if someone is going through something difficult you can say, "I understand" to communicate compassion and empathy of their situation.

I've thought about using entender or comprender to communicate that concept in Spanish but realized that it may be a bit unique and not the same across languages.

How would you communicate ideas like these:

"I understand, that must be really difficult for you."
"I understand, don't worry about it!"

Gracias!

For learning: Spanish

Answers

Yes in Spanish you can say "Te entiendo" ó "Te comprendo" to communicate empathy.
    "I understand, that must be really difficult for you." = " Entiendo, eso debe ser realmente difícil para usted (ó "para ti" según sea la relación)
    "I understand, don't worry about it!" = " Entiendo, no te preocupes por eso" (ó "no te preocupes ya")
    To communicate empathy is better to use "Te entiendo" ó " Te comprendo"
    Gracias!

Gracias!